Saturday, June 12, 2010

Buy Local and Quit Procrastinating

Buy local is sometimes more difficult than it seems. Maybe not more difficult, but not as convenient as stopping by a big store on the way home from work. I have pledged (to myself, not in another blog or anything of that sort) that I would support the Farmer's Market that started in our town last year. But getting there is not always as easy as I thought it would be. It's on Saturday mornings, when we usually have some sort of sports obligation. And it is in the opposite direction of anywhere we might be going or coming from.

Today was the first sports free Saturday since winter, so seemed like the time to make good on the promise to self. Except it was raining. And I didn't really feel like leaving the house.

But that ole' commitment to kindness thing kicked in, and off I went with my market basket. I was back home in less than 45 minutes (it is a very small farmer's market) with a jar of jam, a dozen eggs and plant for my garden. And I was reminded once again that actually doing something often takes much less time than the thinking about why it's not convenient to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment