Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hoeing Seeds of Kindness

It was volunteer night at the community garden where my family and I have committed to helping over the summer. However, it was also soccer practice, so we had to divide up. I was elected to help in the garden since it was my idea in the first place. As the day went on, it became apparent to me that I was going to have a hard time keeping my commitment. I needed to drive a half hour from work to get there, then a half hour back to the city to meet some friends for dinner, leaving me only a half hour to actually work in the garden.. And it was raining. It really seemed to make no sense to go, and I started thinking maybe I could go on another night. But then, there was this semi-public commitment I made regarding an act of kindness a day....

So there I was, hoeing rows of weeds along with...no other volunteers. The only people there were the man in charge of the garden and the woman whose job it was to recruit volunteers. And if it weren't for this blog, I wouldn't have been there either. Sometimes things actually do work out as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment