Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Ten Year Old Teacher

When I met my 10 year old son at the door today as he came home from school, he announced that he had done a kind deed that needed to be written about in the blog. He told me that he had bought his friend a cookie at lunch, since his friend didn't have any money for one.

His school lunch is on a debit system; he gives the cashier his PIN number and it is deducted from the account---the one that we put lunch money in every month. I was quick to point out that “his” account is the money the “we” put in for “his” lunch, not his friends snacks. And I was even quicker to regret that this was what I chose to focus on. I've been writing about kindess for over two months now, yet I failed to recognize a genuine kind act, right from the heart, when it was presented to me.

Shifting gears as best as I could, I told him how proud I was of him for being such a good friend, and absolutely that would be today's blog entry. I still have a lot to learn about being kind. Luckily I have a good tutor.

No comments:

Post a Comment