Friday, June 4, 2010

Guest on Kindness

Today is garbage and recycle day in my neighborhood. I stopped several times along my road on the way home from work to put bins out of the road and safely in their respective driveways. While I believe this does qualify as a kind act for the day, it isn't terribly interesting. So today I am hosting a guest blogger, my husband. He wrote this essay about eight years ago, which just goes to show my family has been pondering the kindness of strangers for some time now....


Sometimes, things happen to you that just set you aback a bit and make you pause in wonder. Sometimes, you can really believe in the goodness of human nature and the spirit of kindness.

Recently, I was on a quest to purchase some capes for my young sons who are currently in the superhero phase of childhood. The only capes I could find were plastic ones that would never stand up to the rigors of Batman battling Superman, at least not in my basement. After having searched far and wide, I finally decided that I would make them capes. Yes, this naïve father believed that he could sew simple capes for his sons.

I walked into Wal-Mart and got directions for the fabric center. Having only got lost once, I finally made it to Fabrics and followed the directions on the counter: Ring bell for service. I rang the bell and the saleswoman appeared to inquire how she could help me. After having listened to me ramble on about my ideas, she preceded to give me instructions about what I would need and how I would construct them. I’m afraid I interrupted her many times to ask ( and ask again) the most basic of questions. She took pity on me and ever so patiently explained everything so that I could take notes and make drawings. I thought I was all set and then I asked a final question: “What kind of needle should I use?”

The saleswoman looked at me with this incredulous stare. She replied,” You’re going to do this by hand?” My affirmative response caused her incredulity to melt into compassion. She said that she would purchase the material and make the capes for me by tomorrow. I couldn’t believe my good luck, but I couldn’t let her do this for me and I protested. She insisted saying that this is what the Christmas season was all about-- doing for others. When I asked about how much I could pay her, she responded, “Nothing, just pay the favor forward and help someone else who needs it.”

Driving home, I couldn’t believe what Sharon was doing for me and what she had said. Too often at this time of year, I find myself cynical and bemoaning how commercial everything has become. Sharon’s words and actions were the perfect antidote to my usual holiday blahs. Funny thing was, everyone who I told this to responded the same way.

When I returned to the store to pick up the capes, I discovered that Sharon had come back on her day off to be sure that I got them. She wrapped each cape up with festive paper and a nice bow. I asked her how much I owed her for the material and she presented me with a receipt for $7.38. As I started to take out my wallet, she said simply, “Donate the money to Salvation Army and give it to people who need it.” I was dumbstruck, thanked Sharon profusely, and left.

How to respond to such kindness and thoughtfulness? Is this level of humanity present in all of us, but only rises to surface in some during certain times? Sharon’s actions have given me a lot to think about. By making my sons’ capes, she has also given me a present to share with others.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing this. (And I wouldn't have had a clue how to make a cape either....) Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn Mc DonoughJune 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM

    Hey what a great story....people can be kind and generous...and she even had the pay it forward idea...it seems to be out there just wanting for someone to prompt it...thanks for the story Bruce
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete