Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Our Favorite Pharmacist

I'm on a roll for thanking people for doing their job in the medical profession. Today I thanked someone for a kind deed from a long while ago.

My husband has type 1 diabetes and is dependent on insulin. If you're not familiar with this disease, dependent means your life literally depends on it. A few years back he had a doctor who didn't seem to be aware of this and repeatedly failed to call in his insulin refills to the pharmacy. As his supply dwindled and his anxiety rose, my husband made daily calls to the doctor's office, as did the pharmacist, Rob. I think that was the year when we put Rob on our speed dial.

With just two days of insulin left, Rob recognized the seriousness of the situation and gave him an extra vial, with a promise to keep calling the doctor. It was a long time ago, but I still remember the relief we felt. I see Rob in the pharmacy at least a couple times a month and I always think of that day. Today when I was there (picking up fluoride if details are required here) I told Rob that I remember this every time I see him. The truth is, it did feel a little odd bringing up something that happened so long ago, but he smiled and I can only hope he appreciated hearing it.

Eight years later and Rob is still our favorite pharmacist, but my husband has long since since changed doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment