Saturday, June 5, 2010

Conflicted Kindness

My older son had a lacrosse game today. My husband, younger son, and I were in the stands when a woman came by with her son, who looked about ten also, selling candy for a dollar. She prompted the boy, who clearly was uncomfortable, to ask us if we would buy one. My initial response was “no thank you," feeling as if we were being pressured to buy, but seeing the awkward little salesman made me remember my commitment to kindness. My husband gave my son a dollar to pick out a candy bar, so there was one person who definitely thought this was kind. My husband however, thought our act was brought on by our feeling obligated to give, and pointed out that we were not told, nor did we ask, what the benefit of the candy sale was.

A true act of kindness or one prompted by a feeling of obligation?

No comments:

Post a Comment