Thursday, June 3, 2010

Perfect Kindness

I recently said that I was crossing random acts of kindness involving children (see blog entry Kind of Creepy) off my list but I broke my vow today. I was in a store with bunch of balloons in hand when I saw a girl about 3 years old with her mom, looking longingly at my bouquet. I asked her mom's permission then let the girl pick out which one she wanted. It felt not at all creepy, and well kind of....kind.

Speaking of kindness, which of course is the point here, it has been heartening today to watch and read about Armando Galarraga's (pitcher for the Detroit Tigers) response to the umpires call which denied him the perfect game. I'm not sure if graciousness is the same as kindness, but they are, at the very least related. In a time when the stands of youth sports are filled with parents yelling at the umpire or the referee, or their kids, Mr. Galarraga gracious demeanor was uplifting and inspiring. A perfect game for a perfect gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment