Friday, June 25, 2010

The Net Benefit of Kindness

Heading out tomorrow for vacation for a week. Going to an island off the coast Maine, where the beauty is unlimited, but the cell phone coverage and internet access is sparse. So I will be acting kindly each day and writing about it, but I won't be able to post every day. Also, Sunday is the 27th, which I have declared you may remember, Give Flowers to a Stranger Day. However, where we are heading there is nothing open on Sunday, and I don't even know if there is any place to buy flowers. There are many beautiful flowers growing, but I would have to cut them from some one's yard. And that wouldn't be kind. So I will be celebrating the holiday tomorrow....Feel free to celebrate whenever it works for you as well.

What did I do that was kind today? I bought a net for my son's friend at the lake we where we were swimming for the afternoon. After returning to our blanket, I noticed it was broken. I brought it back to the concession stand where I got it less 5 minutes earlier, only to be told that there was no return policy, which, to be fair was posted. I negotiated with the proprietor, quite kindly I must say, and was able to convince her (and it wasn't easy) that she should exchange my broken net for a new one. I am certain that, had my manner been anything less than kind and respectful, I would have been out of luck and out of a net.

That's the net benefit of being kind.

3 comments:

  1. You're so clever!
    The turn of phrase must have amused you, blogger!
    Hope your vacation is filled with kindness directed towards you and family as well as the experience of you doling it out!
    Cheers!
    SS

    ReplyDelete