Friday, May 28, 2010

Chicken Thighs and Kindness

My friend shared with me a “kindness of strangers” story that happened earlier this week. She said that she was sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store crying. It had been a difficult day, and sometimes that's what you need to do. Eventually she stopped, pulled herself together and went in to do her shopping. While she was in the store a woman approached her. Now, this particular friend is a stickler for details, so it is important to include that she was looking at 99 cent chicken thighs when this happened. The woman asked my friend, with some difficulty as English wasn't her first language, if she was OK. Apparently she had noticed her crying in the car and wanted to say something then. But the her husband discouraged her from doing so, fearing it would seem intrusive. My friend assured her she was fine, the woman patted her shoulder, and they both continued their shopping. I apologize for not knowing if she did indeed purchase the chicken thighs.

Since my act of kindness yesterday was flowers for a stranger, today I gave flowers to co-workers, people I actually know.

1 comment:

  1. I did purchase the chicken thighs, after all a sale is a sale.

    ReplyDelete