Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Teacher Appreciation

My husband is a teacher in the same district where my sons go to school. He teaches 8th grade and my son is in 4th. Apparently some time last week was teacher appreciation day, and today through inter office mail he received a lovely homemade card proclaiming him our son's favorite teacher. At the end of the day he picked the boys up, beaming with pride, I imagine. But before this could proceed much further into a Hallmark moment, my son made sure to declare that actually, Mrs. L, his pre-school teacher from five years ago was his all time favorite. But since he didn't know how to find her, he sent the card to his dad instead.

Now the reality is, Mrs. L is an outstanding choice for favorite teacher ever. She was the perfect blend of warmth and fun combined with high expectations for good behavior. Unfortunately the school where she taught has since closed, so we weren't sure how to find her. As luck would have it, we are practicing kindness in the age of the internet. It took my son and me less then 5 minutes to find out where Mrs. L is now teaching. Together we wrote her an email explaining her favorite teacher status, and we quickly received a reply saying she remembered my son well. She did stop short of saying he was her favorite student ever... but not by much. When I saw the smile on his face as he read her response, I knew that for today, we received much more from our act of kindness than we gave.

No comments:

Post a Comment