Sunday, May 23, 2010

Kind of Awkward

Don't forget that this Thursday the 27th is “Give Flowers to a Stranger Day.” (for more information about the history of this holiday, see blog entry in April titled Monthly Feature and last weeks entry Plan to Be Spontaneous.) Some folks have asked questions about this such as “Can I give flowers to my neighbor instead?” and “Isn't it awkward giving flowers to a stranger?” or “Might my intent be misconstrued?” Off the top of my head I would say, sure why not give them to your neighbor. And yes, it can be awkward, but the hope is that the good feeling it brings outweighs the minor discomfort. Misconstrued? Possibly, but I assume with some planning this risk could be minimized.

But the truth is that I just made this holiday up. Last week. So I actually don't know all the details. Please let me know some of the answers on Thursday in the comment section. Together we can work out the bugs and make this a world holiday.

I made cookies today for my son's soccer team. On the way to the game, we stopped at two of our neighbors and gave them each a plateful with a note that said Happy Spring Almost Summer. Now I imagine there are people out there who do make cookies for their neighbors on a regular basis, but I'm not one of them. This was a first for me. I made the kids go to the door with me to deliver them, and we all agreed it felt uncomfortable walking up to the door before the drop off and great walking away after. Hopefully, our neighbors felt better eating the cookies than we did delivering them.

No comments:

Post a Comment