Sunday, May 30, 2010

Quest to be Kind

Great family day and my parents' house, brothers, sister in laws, sister out laws, nieces and nephews. Lots of questions about why I am doing this project. Why be kind to strangers? Aren't you already kind to your friends and family? What is the point? And the most common question was, what have you done kind today?

As the afternoon went on, the pressure mounted. What could I do that was kind? When would I do it? As the afternoon turned to early evening, no obvious kind deed was in sight. We packed up the car to go home, along with my niece and her husband. I asked my sons what they thought we should do. My younger son said without hesitation that we should stop and buy ice cream for someone on the way home. I wondered out loud if he thought I should get him some ice cream while I was at it, and he thought that was a brilliant idea. I agreed to this plan, with not a small bit of suspicion that I was being used for my acts of kindness.

When we arrived at the ice cream stand, we all stood in line speculating how to carry out the plan. As we reached the counter I conferred with my son. Wouldn't it be kind to get ice cream for his cousin and her husband (who from here on out will also be referred to as his cousin). He agreed and ice cream for all it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment