Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Responsible Dog Owner: Take 2

My son and I, and a 35 pound bag of dog food, went off to the local animal pound this afternoon. I have to admit I was a bit nervous. The last time I saw the animal control officer was about 3 years, when I had to spring my dog from lock up and pay a fine... for the second time in two weeks. That was following the incident a week prior when I came home to find the paddy wagon parked in my driveway with the same dog and his brother locked in the back, wagging their tails without a care in the world. I paid a fine then too.

I was concerned that the officer might misinterpret our act of kindness as an attempt to atone for our past sins as irresponsible dog owners. And perhaps, in part, it was. My worries were not founded however, as she didn't remember me at all. We gave her the food and thanked her for her efforts on behalf of the town's animals. Driving away I felt the weight “careless dog owner” lift and be replaced by the knowledge that just maybe, I had helped someone else's dog's stay in the big house a little more comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment