Thursday, May 20, 2010

Plan to Be Spontaneous

Another day passes without an opportunity presenting itself to commit a “random” act of kindness. Instead it was a “planned” act of kindness. I came into work an hour early to relieve a co-worker of phone duty. I must admit it feels a little weird doing something nice, and then writing about it as if for credit. Does that take away from the act itself? Perhaps, but she still got to leave an hour early, so I imagine it felt kind to her.

Since I am yearning to do something kind for a stranger to make this blog true to it's name, next week I am planning for a random act of kindness. I am aware this may be viewed as an oxymoron. But 365 days of random acts is way more creative and spontaneous than I ever imagined it would be. So a little planning is needed.

Last month on the 27th, I bought flowers and gave them to a stranger. It was so much fun that I decided to do it on the 27th of every month for the length of this project. I'm going so far as to declare it “Give a Stranger Flowers Day.” And since it has been declared a “day” anyone reading this is invited to participate. Mark in on your calendar and make your plan to be random.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I've found myself thinking about the "stranger" part of this commitment of yours. I realize this blog was inspired by a stranger sharing kindness with you. As you continue I notice the definition of what you're doing shifting. Seems fine to me but I would say there is no need to limit acts of kindness -- kindness is good when enacted towards family, friends, acquaintances and complete and total strangers. I say the ripples sent out by any act of kindness thrown are important and worthwhile ripples. Carry on one and all!
    SS

    ReplyDelete