Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Seeds of Kindess

My family all went to volunteer at the “Big Plant” today, a community garden that is growing vegetables for the local food bank. It was one of the goals I set when I started on this year long blog project, that my family would do more community service work. So it is fun to begin to have that goal realized. We did some digging, we did some planting, met some nice people, and ate hot dogs and hamburgers as a bonus. In case the image is forming of a picture perfect family digging and smiling, let me add that there was a fair amount of sword fighting (with the sticks meant to hold up tomato plants) along with at least one curt “put it down,” several comments along the line of “I'm bored” and one “When can we go home?”

My husband and sons worked for about an hour, and some lunch and called it a day. We figured it was better to have the boys work less and leave feeling it was a positive experience. I'm sure we will have them weeding for hours on end by the end of the summer. I stayed for a few hours more, balancing those days when my “act of kindness” took a mere fleeting moment. Today I can say that we planted seeds for our community and hopefully one in our sons sons as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment