Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Graduating Levels of Kindness

My niece shared with me about a time that she was on the train returning to college when she realized that she had lost her ticket and didn’t have any money. When the conductor came around she told him about her situation and asked if there was an ATM at the next stop. He said the next station was in the middle of nowhere and that’s where she would be getting off if she couldn’t pay. The woman behind her overheard heard the conversation and bought her a ticket. When they arrived at their destination, my niece offered to pay her back with money from the ATM. The woman refused, and told her she could return the favor by helping someone else when there was a need.

This is exactly the kind of thing I imagined I would be writing about each and every day when I committed to this project. I thought I would be that lady on train, and write fascinating things daily. As it turns on, it really isn’t that easy to commit a random act of kindness every day. The opportunity just doesn’t present itself as often as I thought it would. So, it may not be fascinating, but I bought graduation cards today.

I have about half a dozen friends and family members who are graduating from various schools and programs this month. I always mean to send cards for these occasions, but sometimes don’t follow through. Part of the problem is that I want to find the perfect card. Some people (and you know who you are) have a talent for picking out just the right meaningful, or funny, or beautiful card, to match the occasion. At times, because of my search for this elusive card, I end up sending nothing at all. So today I bought them all, and will have them filled out and mailed by tomorrow. Kindness trumps perfection every time.

1 comment:

  1. Your act of kindness certainly brightened our day! I NEVER get mail (that's not bills anyway) and it was so nice and such a surprise to have a graduation card for me - and Paul! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete