Saturday, May 22, 2010

Following Through

People's reaction to this blog have been interesting. Some expressed surprise, with a variation of “You? But you really aren't that kind.” Others have said it is inspiring. And there are those who indicate that it somehow makes them feel as if they are less kind than I am.

For the record, I believe I am no more or no less kind than the average person. I'm certain that most people are well intended when it comes to being kind. The challenge is the follow through. Many of the things I have done so far probably would not have gotten past the “Maybe I should....” stage were it not for the semi-public commitment I have made to do something every day and document it. I think that this is true for most people. We are kind-hearted but willing to allow things to get in the way of our follow through. Some of things I have written about people do every day, but don't choose to make it public. One might argue that is even kinder.

I struggle with finding something original to do each day, and then need to remind myself that originality has nothing to do with why I started this project. That being said, a food donation for the local food pantry on my way out of the grocery store was my act of kindness today. Maybe not original, but I thought it and I followed through.

3 comments:

  1. Today I saw a sign on a bookstore door about donating new books for kids at risk. I thought about what a good program it was as I walked past it. Then I thought about this blog, turned around and went into to the bookstore, and bought two books to donate. See-it's working!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy I'm reading through your blogs starting from the beginning - I'm starting one of my own like this one. I found yours only after committing myself to my own. I still love reading your ideas of kindness. I love your comment about the follow through and originality. You always seem to find the right words. :)

    ReplyDelete