Monday, May 24, 2010

Noticing Need

One fun thing about doing this project is hearing other people's stories about how strangers have been kind to them. Or vice versa. I have one friend who can talk about at least half a dozen times he has changed tires, given rides to stranded passengers, and shoveled cars out of the snow. He has a great story about shoveling the driveway of a senior gentleman he came across whose car was stuck, and how it turns out this man works in the local store where he buys his groceries. Now, every time my friend goes shopping, he now receives a hearty welcome.

Is it just coincidence that this particular friend has happened upon so many strangers in need, while some can tell of only a few in our lifetime? Or is it more that some us look the other way, don’t notice, or are in too much of a hurry?

Today I was next in line at the pharmacy and the woman behind me was comforting her pretty ill looking daughter. The little girl, who was probably around four, apparently had scarlet fever, something I didn't know existed any more. The mom was reassuring her that that they would be home before long, just as soon as they got the medicine. I stepped aside and told them to go ahead of me.

I wasn't in a hurry, I didn't look the other way, and it was easier than shoveling out a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment