Saturday, July 24, 2010

Be Kind to Salespeople. If My Husband Can Do It, You Can Too

Day 115

We went to a local music festival today that was sparsely attended, at least when we were there. As a result many of the vendors were hanging around without much to do. Set up near one of the stages was new car (a Ford Fiesta) with two sales people trying to drum up some excitement about it. Like the vendors, they were seriously lacking customers. It was impossible to get into the music venue without walking past them.

The first time we walked by I said “no thank you” as they tried to get me to look at the car and fill out a form. But the next time we passed my husband, to my surprise, stopped to chat. Engaging sales people is not usually his style. He is definitely not a fan of the sales pitch. But, he let our kids climb inside the car and had a spirited conversation with the overenthusiastic, near desperate salesman about the “cool” features of the car, which there was no chance at all we would ever buy.

Finally, before we walked away, my husband filled out the form the young man pushed on him (actually the third time he asked us to fill it out). As we walked away, my husband turned to me and said “There's your act of kindness for the day.” And so it was.

2 comments:

  1. Good one Bruce!
    Clyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all due respect,I was there and think this is a questionable act of kindness. We did have a nice chat with the salesman and saleswoman but what else did we have to do? There was no music going on and it was about to rain! The boys loved the car, bought the pitch, hook, line and sinker. Did we really make the salespeople's day? I don't know. Smile!
    SS

    ReplyDelete