Thursday, July 1, 2010

Kind Once, Kind Twice

There are amazing perennial gardens here. Whenever I visit I love to take walks touring my favorites. There is one in particular that is I make sure to see every year. About four or five years ago the woman who owns the house and garden was out in the yard and I stopped to chat. I told her how much I admired her flowers and she told me about the work she had done to design the garden. It is a house she inherited from her parents and she has lived there all her life. I remember from our conversation how pleased and proud she was when I told her garden was on my “tour” of must see attractions when I was on the island.

Today I walked by and she was in the yard working in the garden. I stopped and said hello, and reminded her we had met before, but it was clear she didn't remember me. I again told her how much I enjoyed her garden and that I made it a point to see it every summer. She was even more pleased to hear it this time.

There are two possible morals to this story. One, if it's kind once, it's even kinder a second time. Or two, I'm just not that memorable.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is even more inspired when you're on the island! And don't worry, you're memorable! Have a great last day plus on the island!
    SS

    ReplyDelete