Friday, July 23, 2010

The Family That Blogs Together...

Day 114
One of the the goals of this year long project is to instill in our sons the importance of being kind to others. But the balance is making them feel good about what they are doing, and not resentful that we are doing it. This has been particularly true about our involvement at the community garden. There is not a lot of cheering in our house when we announce it is time to go volunteer. Today my older son is offering his perspective:

My family and I went to the community garden today and planted, dug and weeded until we were were sweating like pigs. We did this to help people who don't have enough nutrition and food. I wasn't thrilled to be going there. In fact, I was sulking because I didn't want to go and I wasn't having a blast like I wanted to be having.

During the planting I was trying to be enthusiastic but it wasn't working one bit. But after we had done our deed I felt happy that I was helping someone somewhere in the world. I guess that's what counts.

4 comments:

  1. Well, this is a grand entry, a tremendous contribution to the blog. Why? Because it is honest! I believe that honesty is a good thing, particularly when one feels ambivalent at first but then better in the end. Older son, "you've done good," REALLY REALLY GOOD!
    Thanks for adding to your mom's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...that does not sound like fun AT ALL....I am so proud that you did it even though it was not fun.who said that being kind is always fun...it is not....sometimes it can be work and sometimes you don't always see or feel a reward...just the satisfaction that you were true to your own beliefs and values....YEAH for you....I try to install that in Olivia...it is hard when the child complains but it is always great to hear the complaining but also see the person just go ahead and do it...it always reminds me lf the gospel passage where the father asks his sons to do some work..one says yes i will and doesn't do it...one complains and complains and says he will not do it but later does...anyway I am going on and on...you are an inspiration to me as a parent...thanks for reminding me that even if Olivia complains it is still important to have her do the job and she will feel an accomplishement afterwards...great job...also you write well...I hope to hear more from you...and your brother too..bye for now
    carolyn I post as anonoymous cause it's easier..bye

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps which one was blog @ 100?

    ReplyDelete
  4. July 8 "Kindness Over Easy" was my 100th, a few more days and I will be 1/3 through the year.

    ReplyDelete