Friday, July 9, 2010

Tom and Huck

My kids and I got together with some friends this afternoon to work on a project we did last year, the veggie collaborative. We collect extra vegetables people donate from their back yard gardens and deliver them weekly to a local soup kitchen. The kids make posters that we put up around town letting folks know to call us if they want us to pick up their garden excess. The four kids did a great job on the posters. While they may sound like an incredible civic minded young bunch, the truth is they knew that getting the posters done meant they could then goof off and play together.

My family started doing this several years ago, and last year we asked our friends if they wanted to team up with us. Actually, I feel a little like Tom Sawyer when he gets some kids to paint the picket fence for him and convinces them it is fun. My friend ended up doing the bulk of the work, making the majority of the pick up and deliveries. This year she is way ahead of me with organizing the posters, press releases and system for recording the donations. I won't tell you her name, but you can call her Huck Finn.

1 comment:

  1. He-he, Huck Finn is one of the nicer names I'm called around here.....just give yourself a ton of credit, too, Tom, for making it all happen in the first place. The important thing is that the fence gets painted!

    ReplyDelete