Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Power of the Deadline

Last week I set a deadline for myself to deliver by today books to the program for prison libraries. I started sorting last Sunday (Not So Fast....July 11) and promptly stopped when it became apparent that there was no way I could complete the task that day. Yesterday I looked at the pile of books around my house and realized I was down to the last day. I sorted some more, stuffed them into bags and they were ready to go.

Today was a day off from work. The plan was deliver them on the way to the beach. And then the thunder storms rolled in... Change in activities, a movie with the family instead. But the book drop off was not near the theater. I think, I'll do it later in the week, because it wasn't actually a REAL deadline.....

But then, what if there is that one person out there who read last week that I committed to doing this, and will know that I didn't follow through? What if they think “this whole blog is a farce” because I didn't donate the books when I said I would? What is the point of setting a deadline if you don't meet it? And the most pressing question of all, “Am I going to ruin a perfectly good vacation day by obsessing about when to deliver these bags of books?”

I decided to go out of the way and drop off the books, then meet my family at the movies. I missed the previews but met my deadline. And for that one reader out there who was keeping track, I did it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment