Monday, July 5, 2010

Family Feud

A couple weeks ago I wrote about buying a net for my son's friend so they could try to catch fish at the lake where we swim. What I didn't say was that it was fairly inexpensive net (cheap one might say) and it broke after an hour of use. While on vacation I found some better nets, perfect for trying to scoop up the fish (and then release them) that come to the edge of the lake and practically jump to the surface for bread crumbs.

Today was the first day my boys got to use their new nets at the lake. They were very quickly surrounded not only by fish waiting for bread crumbs, but a small crowd of children wanting to get in on the fish catching action. After a short time my older son lost interest and decided to swim. but my younger son stood their patiently into the early evening, trying to scoop up the unsuspecting fish. The spare net was at first shared with a boy they had just met. Then he passed it to his sister, and she passed it to someone else, and so on and so on. There is no way to overemphasize the incredible allure of fish scooping at this lake

On the shore, our family began dividing into separate teams regarding the passing of the net. Team Trust and Team Worry. Team Trust was founded on the belief that we would eventually get the net back and that sharing was the right thing to do. Team Worry was concerned that we just got the nets, and we might never see them again or maybe they would be damaged.

We did eventually get our net back, many children got to experience the joy of fish scooping, and I was commanded by my son to “blog about it mom.” I won't say which team I was on, but let the reader remember who the author of this blog is.

2 comments:

  1. Very good...that was funny!
    clyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you at Spring Lake? Because we went to a friend's house on the lake for July 4th and Paul spent about an hour catching fish with bread crumbs and a net! We'll have to meet up with you one of these days and the boys can fish together!

    ReplyDelete