Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sometimes It Takes A Village To Be Kind

Day 113

I am pleased to report that our garden project, (“Tom and Huck,” July 9) collecting vegetables from backyard gardens and delivering them to the local soup kitchen, is off and running at a good clip. One of the primary reasons I am happy about this is that I there are few days that I have to wonder what new act of kindness I can come up with, sad as that may be for the stranger for whom I might have bought a cup of coffee.

Today I picked up about 150 pounds of assorted vegetables from a local farm stand and delivered them to the soup kitchen. The farmer who owns the stand is very generous about donating, but says he doesn’t have time to deliver. So it is a good partnership with our “veggie collaborative.”

When I arrived at the kitchen and started taking the boxes out of the car, the folks who were standing outside waiting for it to open immediately came to help me, which was a good thing as I was alone today with a large load. Between the farmer, the folks helping unload the car, and me, it definitely felt like a cooperative act of kindness today.

No comments:

Post a Comment