Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fried Dough With Kindness

Lakeside again, which makes sense since is has been so hot. For the most part, we try to stay away from the concession stand, as the money and the calories add up. But parental resistance was low today, so the plea for fried dough was granted.

The girl who is usually running the stand is about 16 years old and is always pleasant, no matter what kind of harrassment she is experiencing from the customers. Whenever I see her, I make sure to let her know that we are impressed by her demeanor (and put money in the tip jar, which I suspect she appreciates more than my words). Today, motivated by the blog, I sought out her mother who is the manager of the stand.

I told the mom what a great job her daughter does, and that it is something we notice every time we see her. In a mom like way, she talked about how proud of her she is, and that working with the public can be difficult. She said that her daughter often has to wait on people who are rude to her, but that she always displays grace under pressure.

Today I was happy today to be the voice of kindess from the public.

1 comment: