Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Confirmation of Kindness

Day 274

On my way to the grocery store this morning I stopped at the doughnut shop and bought a gift card. When I got to there, I placed the card on the pile of bananas with a note that said “Happy holidays, enjoy a coffee and a doughnut on me.” My plan was to watch to see who picked it up. But I became so engrossed in my shopping that I forgot to keep my eye on the bananas and when I remembered to check, it was gone.

As I was putting my bags in the car I noticed a note on my windshield. I thought to myself, the gig is up, someone must have figured out what I was doing. But alas, it was from a woman who had said she had scraped my fender. She left her phone number and asked that I call her. Which was quite nice of her, especially since I could not even find a mark on my car. I called and left her a message and said not to worry about it, the car had much worse scrapes and dings on it, and one more microscopic one wasn't going to make a difference. I told her her how much I appreciated her leaving the note.

It is my belief that, in general, most people are kind and well intended, and will do the right thing. I was happy today to have this confirmed.

1 comment: