Saturday, December 18, 2010

Kind In My Mind

Day 263

I put money in the Salvation Army Kettle today as I was leaving the grocery store. I have made a commitment to give a dollar every time I pass one (Bells Will Be Ringing). And it really does appear to be true what I speculated when I wrote last month, that I don't pass that many kettles during the season. Other years I remember giving a few times and then, as it got closer to Christmas, I would walk by the person ringing and look straight ahead, justifying in my head that I couldn't possibly give EVERY time I saw someone collecting.

But this season it seems true that the giving was exaggerated my mind, since I have given each and every time I have passed someone and so far I am up to around 7 or 8 bucks, with Christmas only a week away. A friend of mine emailed to say that she too decided to give each time she passed and was surprised to realize how little it totaled. Perhaps she and I just aren't out and about shopping as much as other folks. Or maybe there are fewer Salvation Army Kettle ringers around these days.

Or maybe it is more common that many of us would like to think, that sometimes it takes some real effort to put those kind thoughts into action.

2 comments:

  1. My Mom would never pass akettle w/o dropping something in. when we were out shopping together, we would take turns. Now I cannot pass a kettle w/o donating for my Mom. Betsy, you have made me and my Mom proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right before Christmas walking into a store my boyfriend and I saw some ringers. My immediate thought was to look straight ahead and walk right past them. My boyfriend surprised me by stopping and emptying his pockets of change. :) Reminding me that even a little kindness is important.

    ReplyDelete