Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Along For The Ride

Day 267

Today's act of kindness I can barely claim any part in. I went with my friend to pick up a load of winter vegetables from a local farmer. We were delivering them to the soup kitchen for the Christmas dinner there. I mentioned this friend in my blog on July 9th, Tom and Huck.

A few years back my husband and I started a project collecting extra vegetables from backyard gardens to donate to the soup kitchen. Last year my friend joined us with her family and now actually does the bulk of the work. She has forged a fabulous partnership with the farmer in her neighborhood; he donates the vegetables and she picks them up and delivers them to the soup kitchen. I'm back up, but it's pretty much her gig.

Today she had a large load of turnips and butternut squash to deliver, so I went along to “help.” The truth of matter is I loaded one box in the car (the farmer loaded the rest) and I carried one box (although it was quite heavy) into the church that houses the soup kitchen. Mostly I went along for the ride to catch up and chat.

While it is true that this veggie collaborative was started by my husband and me, the torch really has been passed and it my friend's project now, with a few improvements and greater success, I might add. So for today, I will just say I was riding shotgun to kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment