Monday, December 13, 2010

No Return On Kindness

Day 259

I believe today was the first time this year I was a bit cranky AFTER my act of kindness. I was in line at the pharmacy, refilling my supply of Nyquil, having gone through what seems like a few gallons this week. The woman behind me had a small child around two or so who was having a difficult time demonstrating the patience required for standing in line. I told her to go ahead of me, saying I had first hand experince of the joys of waiting in line with child who had other ideas. She said thank you (barely) and took me up on my offer, remarking “I just have one quick return.”

“Quick return.” Isn't it common knowledge that this is an oxymoron? Everyone know there is no such thing as a quick return. And today was no different. Fortunately for me, the manager opened another register to accomodate the delay, and I was headed out of the store while the return was still being processed. I left the store feeling a bit miffed, but my mission was accomplished and kindness had been achieved for another day. And I reminded myself “It's not about me.”

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting entry to me today because I'm working very hard, in my workaday world, to find kindness in my every interaction. It ain't comin' so easy today. I appreciate the difficulty that being kind can bring. I do believe it is always worth it though my trying to do it with sincerity today is a genuine challenge. Thanks for being a part of my daily practice and reminding us readers about kindness. What will we do without your daily blog in 107 days?
    SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear SS
    Perhaps you don't have to worry so much about doing it with sincerity all the time. The old AA saying "Fake it till you make it." I can tell you for certain that I don't always FEEL kind during my kind acts. Take some pressure off yourself!

    ReplyDelete