Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Favorite

Day 247

A friend of mine, I shall call her K, decided to celebrate Give Flowers to a Stranger Day yesterday, even though it was NOT the 27th. She gave a bouquet to an elderly woman getting out of her car at the grocery store. The woman was confused at first, and then when she realized the flowers were really for her, from a stranger, she thanked K repeatedly.

K told me that committing this act of kindness helped her get out of a “funky” mood. Which provided inspiration for me today to buy someone a cup of coffee, to help alleviate my funky mood.

People have asked me what is my favorite act of kindness so far this year. Up until now I haven’t really known what to say, but just today I realized the answer. My absolute favorite thing to do is to buy a stranger a cup of coffee. I’ve done this a few times this year in the course of writing this blog and suddenly it occurred to me that, aside from being kind, it’s just plain fun.

My usual “routine” is to give money to the cashier and ask them to use it, after I’m gone, for whomever they think could use a pick me up. Every time I have done this it seems to bring some joy to the cashier. And then I also get to imagine the recipient’s happiness as well. Plus I love coffee. I’m not exactly sure where that fits in here, but I think it must be part of the reason I’m putting this to the top of the list.

Peanut butter and jelly. Nuts and bolts. Kindness and caffeine. They just seem to go together.

1 comment:

  1. It's TRUE!!! There is a story on CNN about a starbucks where it happens ALL of the time. I think it's that caffine AND kindness ARE a pick me up! We should write Starbucks and tell them to get in on the fun and pick a random day where for one hour, all tall coffee's are free!

    ReplyDelete