Friday, December 10, 2010

A Dollar A Day Chases The Humbug Away

Day 255

As I ventured out of the house today I was in a rather crabby mood. I am sick with a massive head cold, the second one in three weeks and I really, really wanted to stay home in bed. But alas Christmas errands needed to be done which made me even grouchier. I'm not sure how I, as a Jew (albeit raised in a non-practicing household), have manged to become a contributing part of the materialism that has taken hold of this holiday. But it seems I have, so off I ventured to the shopping plaza feeling irritated by the Christmas music on the radio and resentful that it has been playing since before Thanksgiving.

A plan for kindness was just what I needed to shake the mood. First, I was kind to myself by stopping for a coffee. Not just any coffee, but a fancy one that I don't usually get because they are expensive and fattening and on top of that I have been know to mock other people for ordering such coffees. I then went into a nearby store with five one dollar bills. On each I had put a note that said “A dollar won't get you much these days but I hope that finding this one will put a smile on your face.”

I put one down on a stack of sweatshirts and positioned myself in one of the aisles so I could see what would happen. A store employee found it and I am pleased to report that it did indeed make her smile. She then walked around showing it to her co-workers. And this was just what I needed to brighten my mood. I quickly distributed the other four dollars around the store and left, feeling no need at all to spy on the recipients.

As I walked out, I found myself humming one of the Christmas songs that I had found so annoying earlier.

1 comment:

  1. Going shopping hopefully for the last time today.I will copy this act of kindnes, it has a prankster type vibe that I know my daughter and I will enjoy watching.
    Maybe as a Jew you arent aware that Christmas happens no matter what, so get some rest this weekend Dude.

    ReplyDelete