Sunday, December 19, 2010

Kind of Cynical

Day 264

There is a house the next town over from us that decorates for Christmas with a light show set to music broadcast based from their home. I have no idea how it works, I just know that if you tune the radio to the number posted on the sign on the front lawn, there is music matching the movement of the lights from the house. And in one window there is Santa, packing toys, eating cookies and waving to the folks outside. I think it was a video projection but it looks very, very real. Or may it WAS him.

Tonight we took a ride by with the kids and parked outside for about 15 minutes. Normally I am the type of person who would be rather cynical and judgemental about this type of decorating, deeming it overkill and tacky. But I must admit, seeing my 12 and almost 11 year old totally mesmerized changed my attitude. It was the highlight of the weekend.

Before we left we put a note in the mailbox thanking the homeowners for the joy they were bringing the neighborhood. We attached it to a small container of home made peanut brittle, our tradition of the season. Ti's the season to let go of cynicism, and be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment