Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Blizzard of Chances To Be Kind

Day 271

I went to the grocery store this morning first thing to get some things for dinner. The forecast was for a blizzard this afternoon so the store was unusually busy with people stocking up. Except for the woman behind me in line. She just had one item so I offered to let her go ahead of me. She declined at first, but I insisted, saying that it didn't seem fair that she should wait behind the rest of us who obviously hadn't planned ahead. She thanked me, and as she left she thanked me again.

One of the things that has been great about doing this project is that it has made me so much more aware of the opportunities around me to be kind. I'm not altogether sure that I would have offered my spot to her in line a year ago. It's not that I was any less kind then, just more oblivious to the chances out there.

***********

Tomorrow is the 27th which is, of course “Give Flowers to a Stranger Day.
New to this blog? Have NO idea what GFTASD is? It happens the 27th of every month. Read this previous entry for a history of this day.

But there is a good chance I may have to postpone my celebration this month. There seems to be a blizzard going on which may prevent me from finding flowers or a stranger tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment