Thursday, December 30, 2010

Share The Joy By Keeping Warm

Day 275

We won!! Actually, I didn't win anything. But my niece did. She wrote an essay for a contest with Land's End called “Share The Joy.” The question asked was “How would you bring joy to someone's life with $50?” The prize, of course, was $50. And she answered, rather eloquently I assume since she was among the winners, that she would give it to her aunt who writes a blog about kindness. I knew nothing about this until she called last night to tell me that she had entered and won. To say I was honored would be an understatement.

She and I talked about who we should give the money to, and the possibilities truly seemed endless. Who among us couldn't use $50, really. Well, maybe Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerman but beyond that, who? We decided, perhaps influenced by the cold temperatures, the foot of snow on the ground, and the suggestion from her dad (my brother), to donate it to a local agency that provides heating assistance for folks with low income.

I am proud of my niece, and it's great to know that a family will stay warm because of her effort to share the joy.

2 comments:

  1. Love this on so many levels! Go K! Nice effort and you made your aunt soooo proud!
    Smiles all around! Happy New Year! SS

    ReplyDelete