Monday, April 12, 2010

An "Act" of Kindness

My son was in a play today and I sat in the audience beaming with all the other 4th grade parents. It was impressive the way he delivered his lines, clearly nervous, but giving it his all. I’m not sure, but I think everyone noticed that he was the cutest kid up there. His successful stage debut was primarily due to his teacher who made sure to get the best from him. She took the time to email us about some difficulties he was having preparing, but expressed confidence that he could push through it. And as she sat there watching today, the teacher looked prouder than any of the parents in the audience.

Driving away from the school, I thought about how grateful I was for what she had done, making certain my son was the best he could be. Normally, that’s as far as my gratitude would go. I might have thought about sending her a note, but not actually done it. Or possibly, I may have gone as far as buying a card, but never mailing it. But today I put all the steps together and got it done. Signed, sealed and delivered by the end of the day. Kindness under pressure can be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment