Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

Earth day, what to do? Stopped for my morning coffee, and felt guilty because I didn’t bring in a reusable cup. Thought about picking up some trash, but the poison ivy is now growing in over my favored trash picking route. And I can’t say that I’m not a little pleased about it. It’s a good excuse not to pick up trash.

Fortunately, I ran into some pleasant guys at the grocery store promoting their website featuring local environmental news. We talked for a while and I donated some money, after I figured out that the world globe on their table had a small hole carved out for such a purpose. Unlike my previous attempt to provide helpful advice about collecting donations, they were actually grateful to hear my feedback that their method of collecting donations could stand to be a little more obvious. Apparently, being one of the only donors to stop at their table, I had the voice of authority.

When I got home I looked at their website, and was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn’t just fulfill my kindness quota for the day, I had found a well done and informative place for local environmental news. I passed it along to some of my friends whom I thought might be interested. I imagine most hit delete before even reaching the end of the email, but perhaps one or two took a look. And if their looking happens to inspire them to become more ‘earth-friendly,’ I think the impact will be more than my picking up yet another Dunkin’ Donuts cup.

2 comments:

  1. i didn't delete it! even added the website to my favorites.

    nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great website...
    I even forwarded it to two more folks, one of whom has already thanked me. So, Thank You!
    SS

    ReplyDelete