Friday, April 16, 2010

Calling in Kindness

I was watching a talk show today and the guest was a woman who wrote a book about her experience of being polite in New York City for a week. One week. Big deal. Try to think of something nice to do every day for a year. I’m two weeks into this, and coming up with ideas is more of a challenge than I had anticipated. If the end of the day rolls around and no new inspiring act of kindness has struck me, my husband has picked up on the fact that it is going to cost us.

Today was in that category. This afternoon there was a telethon on TV to raise money for victims of the recent flooding in this area. This presented a good opportunity to get the kids involved and enthusiastic about being helpful in different ways. They were able to watch people at the local television station on the set answering the phones as we called in our donation. This seemed a little more real to them then putting just putting a check in the mail. I’m not sure if it took as much effort as being polite in Big Apple for a day, but I’m pacing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment