Saturday, April 24, 2010

Creeping Kindness

We bought some deck furniture today. It was from a locally owned store that was severely understaffed. Hopefully, it won’t be the next victim of the economy. Because of the shortage of staff, there was just one person to help us and approximately ten other people who decided to look for deck furniture on this beautiful spring day. The man was pleasant, and clearly tired from the constant running back and forth between the warehouse and the store floor. He answered our questions, retrieved our furniture, and delivered it to the car with a smile and without a complaint.

A few months ago, it would not even have occurred to me that we should offer him a tip. Two things changed my mind. One, was my teenage niece telling me about her job at the grocery store where she helps customers put bags in the car, but is not allowed to accept money. I honestly didn’t know that there were any stores left that offered this service, and I didn’t know it was something people tipped for. I have either led a sheltered life or I’m cheap, or perhaps a bit of both. The second thing that was the kindness commitment is starting to shift my mind set. The thought crept into my head without my awareness that, of course, we should tip him. And my husband, who is a bit more tight-fisted than I when it comes to giving out cash, readily agreed and handed over a tip. Kindness is creeping in, at least in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment