Wednesday, April 14, 2010

When Bad Things Happen to Acts of Kindness

Back to the grocery store and at the customer service desk, with a sign for the previously unmarked donation box. I found the manager and made the suggestion that this might help prompt folks to make more donations. I also offered that another sign at the entrance may help customers remember to make a purchase to donate as they shopped.

She was courteous and thanked me for the sign and the suggestion, but it felt as if I had put her a bit on the defensive. Clearly, she had not heard of that new blog, the one about the daily act of kindness. It seemed more as if my actions were interpreted at a criticism. Or maybe it was my manner. But it was apparent that the message sent was not the message received.

I did my best to thank her, a number of times, profusely, for the store’s efforts on behalf of the food pantry. I left the store as quickly as I could, not understanding quite what had happened. But I knew that I had just experienced my first act of kindness gone bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment