Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Maybe It's Not The Thought That Counts

I went for a walk tonight and waved at every car that went by. I live in rural neighborhood with little traffic, so this was definitely an act of kindness with a lower case “k.” Also, just as courteous drivers are more the norm in other parts of the country, I‘m fairly certain that courteous pedestrians are here too. I might even just just call it an act of humanness.

Almost every person that passed me waved back, and most of them smiled. One exception was the guy talking on the cell phone. He didn’t wave or smile. I don’t even know if he saw me. And since he wasn’t waving or smiling, I was thinking rather unkind thoughts about his driving while talking on the cell phone. And I am absolutely using the word "unkind" as a euphemism here. So the question follows, does an unkind thought negate a kind act? About a week ago I said that sometimes, it’s the thought that counts. Tonight the emphasis is on “sometimes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment