Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Goat Didn't Think It Was Kind

On the way to work I pass a new African restaurant that opened about a month ago. Every time I go by it’s empty, and I fear that it is not going to make it in this economy. Today I decided to buy lunch in an effort to give them some business. My friend’s daughter picked up a menu for me, and was enthusiastic about the idea because she found the people in the restaurant to be very friendly. I was feeling proud that I was onto a Big Idea.

Until I saw the menu. Goat meat stew. Cow meat appetizers. Ok, I’m not that kind. Really. I decided instead to by my some of my co-workers coffee. On my way out the door to pick it up, I had a twinge of regret. I do eat cow meat after all. I just don’t like to be reminded that it’s from a cow. I searched the menu for some items that looked vaguely, and I mean vaguely, familiar and called the order in.

We feasted on food that I will probably never eat again. I’m sure it is somebody’s comfort food, but not mine. It was an act of kindness that won’t be repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment