Friday, April 23, 2010

Kind of the Right Thing

Apparently Wednesday was Administrative Professionals Day and we forgot to honor our staff at my office. My boss, who usually never misses an opportunity to tell someone they are doing a good job, felt particularly remiss. She quickly rallied and had us present the support staff with flowers and a promise that we would send them all out to lunch next week while we covered for them. Honestly, I felt quite relieved to get off the hook just by contributing.

Today in the office, two days later, I felt a little, well, unkind. As I was gathering my things to leave for the day, I thought perhaps I should write each person a note to let them know more personally about my gratitude for their work. I walked towards that door thinking I would get some nice cards this weekend and work on them. As I reached the door, I realized if I made it outside, I probably would never get around to writing anything. I sat back down and wrote a note for each person, then delivered them to the mailboxes on my way out the door.

It did not feel much like an act of kindness. More like an act of do the right thingness.

No comments:

Post a Comment