Sunday, April 25, 2010

Generations of Kindness

Having coffee with a friend, I mentioned that it was getting to be late afternoon and I had yet to fulfill my daily act of kindness. I spent much of the day visiting with my elderly parents. My friend suggested that this should count towards the quota. I disagreed, saying that taking credit for going about one’s regular routine doesn’t seem quite right. I’m one of seven siblings, and every one of us has a role, visiting with my parents and making sure that they are well. Visiting today was not, by any stretch, an extraordinary act. It was just being part of a family.

My coffee companion argued that this was her point. She went on to tell me about a 20 year old memory she had of my mom that remains vivid to this day. When her husband was ill in hospital for an extended period, she came home to find a plate of cookies on her doorstep, left by my mom. She and my mom had only met a few times, so that made the gesture seem even more meaningful. Kindness, it was pointed out to me, is a family affair too.

1 comment:

  1. So, I wonder...
    What do others reading this blog think?
    Is Kindness a family affair? Obviously, I say, "yes." How do we model for those coming up in the world that kindness takes many forms and, I say, starts at home.
    Good job putting the question in the blog, Betsy!

    SS

    ReplyDelete