Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Great Sprinkle Controversy

Standing in line for coffee today I noticed a woman next to me with her daughter waiting in the wrong place. The line was on the left, they were on the right. She looked like she was in a rush, and not at all relaxed; a look I know well from standing in any kind of line with my own kids. I pointed her in the correct direction. After about a 30 second delay, I remembered my commitment to kindness and offered her my place in line. At first she declined, but I insisted, adding that I was enjoying my kid free time and was in no hurry. She accepted and her daughter ordered some sort of pastry with large quantities of jimmies heaped on it. This prompted a conversation between her mom and me about our shared observation that kids around here don’t seem to call them that any more. They say sprinkles. It was fun to find a commonality with a stranger so quickly. Jimmies versus Sprinkles; who knew such controversy could bring people together.

No comments:

Post a Comment