Friday, April 9, 2010

Courtesy or Kindness?

I am disorganized by nature, or maybe by choice, I’m not sure which. One result is that dealing with my sons’ outgrown clothes often flummoxes me. They stay in drawers until they are at least two sizes too small. Eventually I stuff them into a plastic bag, intending to give them to the neighbors who have two young boys, as soon as I finish washing, sorting and folding them. When my guys were younger, I so appreciated when we received hand-me-downs in that condition.

What actually happens is the bag of crumpled clothes sits in a corner, gets moved several times until I eventually send one of my boys to deliver it, too embarrassed to hand it over myself. Our neighbor always acts gracious and appreciative. I hope the feelings are genuine, but I certainly wouldn’t blame her if she grumbled to herself.

One such bag has sat by my washing machine for at least 2 months. Today the contents were washed, sorted, folded and placed neatly in a basket. I had my boys deliver it, as I’m still embarrassed by the previous loads of crumpled clothes.

Is this an act of kindness or it simply common courtesy? Or maybe it’s kindness refined.

1 comment: