Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's That Time of the Month; GFTASD That Is

Day 211

A great GFTAS day! I really wanted to start the day with a plan, but nothing came to me. I tried to have faith that the perfect recipient would present herself/himself. And the cool thing is that it actually happened.

I went grocery shopping, as is my Wednesday routine, and picked up a beautiful bouquet of Alstroemeria. They are one of my favorite flowers, not to mention they are on the inexpensive side (and I hope that doesn't make me any less kind). I figured it was early in the day, and that sooner or later I would just know who to give them to.

As I was putting my groceries on the belt I noticed an elderly couple behind me joking with the employees at the store. Clearly regulars, they seemed very nice and friendly as if they brought good cheer with them wherever they went. And there I was with the perfect opportunity to bring them some cheer as well. After I finished paying, I put the flowers on the counter near the young man who was bagging. I whispered to him to please give them to the couple behind me when I was out the door. I then got to my car as quickly as possible, threw my bags in the back and jumped in, slouching down so I could watch their reaction.

When they came out of the store they both had great smiles on their faces. It was just plain fun to know that I had put them there. Another Give Flowers to a Stranger Day and I'm already looking forward to the 27th next month.

***********
New to this blog? Wondering what GFTASD is? The history of Give Flowers to a Stranger Day can be found in these previous entries.


Monthly Feature

Flowers For a Stranger
Flowers Anonymous
Controversial Kindness
It's Sweeping the Nation!
GFTASD

4 comments:

  1. Dear Betsy,
    Your blog entries kind of remind me of poetry.

    I think it's great that you are doing something kind everyday.

    Your good deeds inspire me to do the same.

    When we get older we want to follow your footsteps.

    We think you're really kind and awesome.

    Love,
    5B at Mater Christi
    PS- Keep rockin' those good deeds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 211 days is a lot of days in a row to be kind. Keep up the good work! We love your blog.

    I hope we can do the same thing. Will you do the same next year? Do you think the deeds you have done have helped other people be kind?

    On the last day you should tell someone to do the same thing you have done for a year.

    Betsy, you are a miracle worker.

    Love, 5D at Mater Christi School

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear 5B and 5D,
    Thank you for your comments. It is very helpful to know that you are reading my blog and that you feel inspired. I'm not really any kinder than anyone else, I have just made a choice to write about it every day.

    I do hope that the blog has inspired others to be kind. As for doing the same next year, I'm not sure yet. It has been a big commitment to write each and every day. But I plan to continue to be kind every day, even if I don't write about it.

    Love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Betsy. I've been missing for most of October, and I'm just now catching up on everything that I have missed. I thought of you on the 27th! Another great GFTAS Day.

    ReplyDelete