Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bells Will Be Ringing

Day 228

My family signed up today to work a shift for the Salvation Army Kettle Campaign the weekend after Thanksgiving. I received the request through email about a week ago and immediately deleted it. It was hard to imagine standing there for a couple of hours ringing the bell, knowing that many people walking by will try to avoid you. I know that's what happens because I have done just this.

I always put money in the first couple times I see the kettle, but then after a while I think to myself “I already gave to the last three people I saw.” But the truth is, it isn't a huge a amount of money, even if I put in a dollar every time I passed a kettle. Twenty dollars by the end of the season would be at the high end, probably less than that.

But my commitment to kindness caused me to rethink my decision. There is a tremendous need this year and the Salvation Army really does so much to help people, especially the folks who have so little. So on the Saturday after Thanksgiving my husband, my boys and I will be out there ringing away. Drop some money in the kettle if you see us. But we'll try not to take it personally if you cross to the other side of the street. After all, it took us awhile to get it too.

1 comment: