Saturday, August 21, 2010

Good Ju Ju

Day 144

My family and I did something today that we would NEVER have done were it not for this blog. We participated in a mysterious improv event, the details of which we did not know until we arrived at the appointed meeting place.

It began several week ago when I received an email invitation to be on the “Good Ju Ju” team. The instructions were to arrive at a certain place at the certain time with a reusable shopping bag and await further instructions. The email assured me that it would be “fun for all ages!” Were it not for this kindness commitment, I would have hit the delete button before I even read the first half of the email. Public display of, well anything really, is not my style. But spreading good “ju ju?” Isn't that what I committed to do this year?

Besides my family I manged to convince one friend, whose dislike of public attention rivals mine, to come along too. Misery loves company. I said to her “Fun for all ages, how bad could it be?” The only thing I said I wouldn't be willing to do was something involving dancing.

So imagine my feelings as we were gathered with with a group of people who presumably LIKE public displays of all kinds and the organizer announced through her bull horn that we would be reconvening about a mile down the road at a local farmers' market, mingling with the crowd as shoppers, and spontaneously breaking into the "Chicken Dance."

And so it went. At 10 am EST, music started playing through the loud speaker and my family, my reluctant friend, and 150 or so other people, did the Chicken Dance for 2 minutes. When the music stopped we all resumed our shopping as if nothing had happened

As soon as it is on you tube or wherever the video shows up, I will post the link. But for now, just visualize many, many smiling faces at the farmers' market, including of course my families', my friend's, and my own.

1 comment:

  1. Betsy you were looking good this morning. I did not observe you wiggling hips when you should have been waggling your feathers. Enjoy your watermelon.

    ReplyDelete