Thursday, August 12, 2010

Smile, Wave, Avert Your Eyes

Day 135

I was feeling a bit grumpy when I left work today, so I had to remind myself to be a considerate driver on the commute home. In general, since starting this project I think I am much kinder on the road (Wave of Kindness, April 15). But often, when I let cars in ahead of me, I feel annoyed if the driver doesn't wave thank you. My kind action is then followed by an unkind thought, sometimes some very colorful unkind thoughts. I know that if I were as nice as I want to be, I wouldn't care if someone acknowledged me. I would feel satisfied with my own actions. But between now and the next 99 years when I actually achieve that level of kindness, I need a coping mechanism.

So today, knowing I was not in the mood NOT to be acknowledged, I incorporated the wave, smile, don't look strategy. I made sure to let in ahead of me every car that I noticed waiting to enter traffic. I smiled and waved them in, but did not look at the driver. That way I did not actually know if they gave me the thank you wave.

I arrived home less grumpy, more relaxed, and free of unkind thoughts. I suppose it is true that ignorance is bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment